[BITList] Move down! It's time for rich commuters to travel likethe rest of us | UK news | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed May 11 19:07:48 BST 2016

Mike,

I only ever travelled 1st Class once by rail, and that was from Flensburg in Denmark to Odense, June 1965.  I shared the compartment with a lady and her twenty something daughter.  I was sewing on a button that had come off my coat, and the lady, disturbed by the sight, kept hissing to her daughter to sew it on for me. The daughter kept not sewing it on.  Along came the ticket inspector and evicted them for not having 1st Class  tickets.  And Speedy Boarding .... on our way to Denmark last month the boarding queue in Edinburgh Airport was entertained by the Speedy Boarders filing past us to the front of the queue, then filing back again. Then ..... etc, etc. In Copenhagen Airport on the way home, our daughters, just in front of us, showed their Boarding Passes and Passports and joined the queue awaiting boarding.  Janet and I were directed past a barrier to one side where we joined a small group of what I assumed were suspicious characters.  It was only when my eye caught a little notice saying Speedy Boarding that realisation dawned.  We didn't make the booking.  In fact it only got us onto the plane first. Since all the Speedy Boarders went on via the front steps, we came up against a couple of Slow Boarders from the back having a wee chat in the aisle, bags at their feet.