[BITList] Liberation Day - Eindhoven

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Thu May 5 02:56:05 BST 2016

18th September 1944

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10154051940801827&id=131219241826 <https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10154051940801827&id=131219241826>

The City of Eindhoven, North Barbant, the Netherlands, was liberated by the 101st Airborne who landed to the NW of the city.

My wife is from this city and she spotted a few places in this video that she recognised.

She would have been 13 at the time.

The British came into the city from Valkenswaard in the south, on their push to the bridges at Arhem and Nijmegen.

Meanwhile the rest of the Netherlands to the West, was not lieberated until the following year.

See also the retreival of the Gliders from the drop zone near Eindhoven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfYSmGl8io8 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfYSmGl8io8>

BTW There is no country in the world called Holland. There are two provinces in the Netherlands called Holland - North Holland and South Holland.

The rest of the country have their own provincial names.

My wife comes from the province of North Brabant.

To make you more confused, South Brabant is in Belgium!

The Dutch who are not from North or South Holland, get most upset if you say that their provinces are “in Holland”.