[BITList] Facebook-obsessed millennialsrejectinglucrativemaritime careers - as just 36pc of shipshaveinternet access

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 22 17:14:54 BST 2016

Mike,

On Chakdara, 1957, in RA Docks, there appeared one morning a chap in jeans, carrying a kitbag.  This was a new fiver.  He took a beer with us, and gazed around in amazement, "I thought sailors slept in hammocks."  He didn't settle.  His cabin was the smallish one at the after end of the engineers' alleyway, and in the evening, when he hadn't been seen for ages, the Second (Ernie Elrick) sent me aft to see what was up.  The cabin was in darkness - I knocked the jalousie - no reply, so I opened it.  He was sitting at his desk in tears, holding a framed photo of a girl.  I reported back to Ernie who decided we should leave him meantime.  So we left him. There came a phome call from the Dock Police - would someone collect a rather upset chap who was intent in leaving.  He was retrieved and we tried to reason with him, with no luck. He left before breakfast.