[BITList] Facebook-obsessed millennials rejecting lucrativemaritime careers - as just 36pc of ships have internet access

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Tue Jun 21 10:28:27 BST 2016

Hugh,

Whilst I was sailing with Denholm's we had a brand new Deck Cadet who joined in S.Wales.  We were proceeding down to Mauritania to load Iron Ore.  After three days at Sea the new lad came to see me.  He said he wanted to leave on our return to the UK !  I asked him if he was being bullied by the Deck Crew, he said No.  I asked him how he was with the Officers, he said they were fine.  So I then asked him what was wrong to which he replied "There is nothing to do after 1700, no TV"

I then asked him if he read, his reply was No !

I sent a cable to Glasgow asking them to remove him on our return !!

Mike