[BITList] Russian Subs.

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Thu Jun 9 12:08:13 BST 2016

Russian Submarines Conducting 'Fourth Battle of the Atlantic'

Russian submarines are posturing to wage the "Fourth Battle of the Atlantic," according to the Navy's commander of the U.S. 6th Fleet. "Once again, an effective, skilled, technologically advanced Russian submarine force is challenging us," Vice Admiral James Foggo III said in a report by the U.S. Naval Institute. The fleet commander said

that Russian submarines "prowling the Atlantic, testing our defenses, confronting our command of the seas, and preparing the underwater battlespace to give them an edge in any future conflict." Russian officials have openly admitted to increasing submarine operations. Russian Navy Admiral Viktor Chirkov said in 2015 that Russian submarine operations have increased 50 percent, according to Sputnik News. Foggo said the Russians are ramping up the capability of their diesel-electric submarines, including launching long-range Kalibir NK cruise missiles. The admiral noted in the report that Russia frequently carries out submarine patrols throughout the North Atlantic and the Norwegian Sea, and warns about the potential threat that might entail. Foggo said in the report, "Russia has the capability to hold nearly all NATO maritime forces at risk." In May, CNN reported that the Pentagon is increasing its capabilities to compete with Russia. "We were operating in places where we didn't have to rely on an adversary being there to challenge us. That's changing," U.S. Navy Commodore Ollie Lewis told CNN. According to CNN, the U.S.'s Virginia-class sub is considered to be the world's most advanced submarine. Andrew Hunter of the Center for Strategic and International Studies called it the "Swiss Army knife of submarines." Source : Newsmax.