[BITList] Royal Navy frigates face 'dangerous delays because MoDhas run out of money'

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 7 20:34:28 BST 2016

Mike,

I'm glad someone else is running out of money.

I don't quite understand the "turbines and electrics"/"heat of the Gulf" problem.  Turbines, as I know them, don't give a sh*t about the heat around the vessel, so the problem can only be generator cooling.  But surely the MOD gave the builders a spec that set out the working conditions. If someone orders a ship that might pass through an ice zone, the yard has to bone up on ice rules and build the vessel accordingly.  Reading the spec and its associated bumf was always the first step in producing a ship, and often the builders were involved in the steps before that.  Before Scotts of Greenock built HMS Challenger, a squad from Scotts spent about 18 months down in Bath working on the spec.  And to such unnecessary detail in some cases that I had to remove "planned" briefcase racks to allow my fire dampers in.