[BITList] BBC Radio 4 Extra - Dick Barton - Special Agent: TheCabatolin Diamonds, Episode 1

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 15 17:10:38 BST 2016

Mike,

All I ever heard of Dick Barton as a lad during WW2 came from the radios in neighbours' houses, ie, I heard The Devil's Galop while going up and down stairs.  My granny had a radio, but I didn't live with her at that point, and the first one we ever had was when Dad came home from Burma, etc, in 1945/6.  Depite that, old Dick was a common topic of conversation when we were sitting under bny candlelight the floor of Granny's tenement in our secret hideout.  In 1938 the church next to it caught fire and it spread to the building granny lived in.  What with fire and water damage, the place was deemed uninhabitable - it was emptied and the residents rehoused.  The "burned houses" as we called them, were boarded up until after WW2, but we knew how to get in.