[BITList] Brexit.

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Mon Jul 4 01:38:46 BST 2016

From a correspondent…

He lives in Glasgow.

Plus, the EU caused the bad weather we're having just now, not to mention it's full of foreigners.

The UK, though awash with 6-month training courses, lacks technical skills in depth, all due to the destruction of our manufacturing  industry and its replacement by a service economy.  Firms move manufacturing to places where these skills exist in sufficient numbers  Who did it?  Not the EU - it was done by Mrs T and her anti-union cohorts.

Our waterfront here, that used to employ 20,000 and upwards in shipbuilding and engineering, now has Tesco stores and the like, and the town is are being carved up to suit them.  The single small shipyard left is presently being massively changed, and plans are being made to expand the workforce by some hundreds. Problem is, people with the skills and the depth of experience to match the plans are impossible to find - 6-month training courses shipbuilders and engineers do not make, and ship owners do not like - so the owners recruit abroad, much to the disgust of the local paper and the few who write letters to it.  In 1965, I and a dozen other draughtsmen from the Clyde and the North of England were recruited by a Danish shipyard for the very same reasons.  And some of our recently joined colleagues were German, Dutch, Italian and Romanian.