[BITList] Fwd: Flying Scotsman

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue Jan 19 10:52:46 GMT 2016

I can’t remember if I have sent this recently?

ooroo

G’day  Les,

Just finished watching this its very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNwqcUqKe8 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNwqcUqKe8>

Just finished the full video (70 minutes).  Well done.  The interviews with the GNR (Great Northern) engineer are very good and informative about how the train performed on its trials, and the improvements they made to it.  Lots of British place names that have a nice ring to them, which here, are mostly train stations or big hills (heavy climbs for the engines).  And I learned A LOT about steam engines!  Dad - this should bring back some memories for you!

Some comments:

Several mentions of having to release pressure through a wastegate (ejector valve, they call it?).  Apparently it is very noisy when they are open!  See 10:50 mark and note where steam is coming from.  And don't miss the white horse in the Downs at 12:00!

At the 38:00 mark a beautiful view of the the Flying Scotsman puffing away with steam pouring from the funnel on a cold morning.

I didn't realize the rails were so slippery when departing a station.  Had to be careful not to spin the wheels.  See Dodd Ashton Hall and FS starting off at 42:00 mark.

At low speeds you get a nice puff-puff-puff sound but at high speed, the FS seems to get puffing double-time (like a heart beat).  I wonder if that is due to the funnel?  Lots of clanking noises too!

Blinkers (50:30 mark).  Another "improvement" - effective perhaps but they don't improve the looks!

-G