[BITList] What's the best way to fight memory loss? - BBC News

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 9 16:12:44 GMT 2016

Mike,

Doctor, I keep forgetting things.
When did that start?
When did what start?

Back in the late 70s/80s, while attending an OU maths Summer School at Stirling University, I went to a lecture on memory.  One thing that has stuck in my mind is that different people can have different kinds of memories.  Some can memorise lists of numbers or words to one degree or another, but a low score at that need not point to any deteroration of memory. I knew a labourer in a shipyard who only had to look at a number to have it permanently in his memory, but his memory for other things was no better than mine.  I believe all anyone can judge the state of memory against is previous memory in whatever field, not against a score in a test.

Mental arithmetic was a no-no to my brain.  In primary school we'd be asked to calculate some matter, eg, if eggs are fourpence hapenny a dozen, how many could I buy for three shillings? My brain would shut down and think about football. But I've excellent memories of everywhere I've been, even as a child, going back before I was 3.

Before I can recollect Stevie Wonder's name I have to go through a procedure - South West, SW, Stevie Wonder.  It's been that way for many many years. How do I remember the mnemonic procedure?    And when one suddenly remembers something, how does one know it's the right thing?