[BITList] Thoughts re New Year Resolutions

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 7 17:00:36 GMT 2016

John,

The tops of cars. My Dad once stopped his car in a bad mood after the chap behind flashed and hooted once too often.  Bill got out, and the other got out and directed Dad's attention to what he had left on top of the car. Oops.  Just because it involved Dad and cars I relate this one.  He was driving home, barely 100 yards to go, and started to overtake a car, just as he was doing so a car coming the other way was too far from the pavement, so there was a 3-way squeeze collision.  Dad's car got scraped on both sides, and the others on one side.. All three got out ready for battle, found they worked together in the shipyards and knew each other well, and they were fighting for the honour of assuming the blame, when the police arrived, having been phoned by some concerned citizen.with nothing better to do.  "Anybody hurt? No? Well who phoned us?"  They were jumping, not even remotely interested in the cars or the drivers.

In Denmark, 1997, off the Harwich/Esbjerg ferry, we had two cars, our son-in-law's and the one we'd hired in Esbjerg.  En-route to the holiday chalets in Bogense the son-in-law, Robert, stopped his car for a search of it.  What turned out to be missing was his briefcase containing the travel documents, passports and money.  Last seen on top of the car when he looked in it during a stop for something or other.  I advised going on as fast as possible, leaving the ladies and the kids, and getting back along the road as fast as possible.  At the check-in place we learned that the briefcase had been found, taken to Esbjerg where the finder lived, and details phoned to Bogense from what was inside.  Robert and I took a car and made for Esbjerg, found the house, and got the briefcase.  The honest finder was a teenager - Robert gave him a substantial reward.  So it was a brilliant two weeks.