[BITList] Has Brexit has finally reached peak Wodehouse?

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Mon Dec 12 03:56:35 GMT 2016

For PG Wodehouse fans.

From a correspondent…

This is copied and quoted from a Facebook post.
(I don't know the cove who wrote it.)

Do you agree?

Posted only for fun, not the politics involved.

It occurs to me, that with this, Brexit has finally reached
peak Wodehouse.

In Theresa May, you have an authoritarian matriarch who
can't handle being defied: The Aunt Agatha/Lady Constance
role.

In Daniel Hannan, you have a fussy, dislikable, unsympathetic
jobsworth but not actually strictly bad, the ultimate Rupert
Baxter.

In Ian Dunkin' Donuts, you have someone utterly self interested
who apparently gets bored and nods off in court cases, sort of
where you expect Tuppy or Bingo to end up in later life.

In the Supreme Court, you have an odd combination of Galahad
Threepwood and Sir Watkyn Basset, with names like "Lord Sumption"
and "Lady Hale".

Nigel Farage *is* the man who would be Spode, right down to
the potential Lordship.

Davis and Starmer are sort of walk on characters roped in by events.
Starmer is probably struggling with his love for Sarah Olney, while
Davis just wants to get back to his library and collection of rare
Tunisian cow creamers.

A memorable moment is an argument over the pronunciation of
the word "De Keyser", which practically could be dropped into
a Wodehouse novel wholesale.

And our protagonist now is a man with the name "Jolyon Maugham",
a name that cries out to be shortened to "Jolly" by page 3.