[BITList] Bannocks

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 29 21:21:46 BST 2016

Mike,

Like you, I can't get at what the story means by bannock.

My copy of Chambers Concise Dictionary says of bannocks that they are chiefly Scottish, flat home-made cakes of oatmeal, barley or pease-meal, usually baked on a griddle.  From old English bannuc.

My wife says they had bannocks in Linwood (often described as being "near Paisley") where she was brought up, but she describes them as having been big thick sort of buns with not a trace of oatmeal, barley or pease-meal. I'd heard of the word, but I've no recollection of the shops round about where I lived stocking such items. And nowadays the same applies. Probably my parents ate them and they had regional variations.

The northern England link would perhaps indicate they flourished south of the Highland line.

I'll now have to look out for them.