[BITList] Rescue of an Indian Seaman in 1924

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Aug 20 00:48:57 BST 2016

From a correspondent…

Capt. Hanna will have performed a Williamson Turn which, at full speed, will bring the ship directly onto a reciprocal course.  I would anticipate the wind was steady, with a steady current, and depending how far off shore, the tide may have had little effect.  His greatest problem was that poor visibility but every available person on board would have been searching - they were lucky to find the fireman in daylight.

From my 'Mãlim Sãhib’s Hindustani’
Tindal means Bosun’s Mate so I think he could have been a senior fireman.
Fireman was an  Ãg Wãlla

The ship:

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/liverpool/MATHURA_377.html <http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/liverpool/MATHURA_377.html>

For research purposes, her unique Official Number:  143690

Her original crew lists are available through the Maritime History archives in Newfoundland, Canada:
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=143690 <https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=143690>
(there is a charge)

Yes, it was a fine piece of seamanship, and I must mention that the comment in the last paragraph is absolutely correct.  To all seamen, other seamen are their equal, no matter colour, race or creed and will always be helped in distress.  It is the unwritten law of the sea.