[BITList] Land Lubbers !

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Tue Aug 9 20:18:57 BST 2016

Lifeboat crew scrambled to girls 'hunting Pokémon in the sea' By; BEN MORGAN

A lifeboat crew was being scrambled to reports of children looking in the sea for Pokemon The girls had gone down to the beach at Hastings, West Sussex clasping their phones as they played Pokemon Go, the augmented-reality game that has become a global phenomenon. Alarmed onlookers watched as the three fully-clothed girls headed towards the water close to the pier at 9.30pm last night. Eye-witnesses called police and told officers the girls were standing in the water with their phones and were in serious danger. The RNLI were called and a lifeboat crew was being scrambled when police intervened and rushed down to the beach. They called the girls, thought to be holidaymakers, and advised them not to hunt for Pokemon in such a dangerous location. Steve Warne, the coxswain at Hastings RNLI, said: “The girls had apparently gone right down to the water and onlookers were very, very worried. “We were scrambled and we were just about to launch the lifeboat when police called us and we were stood down.” He said: “The Pokemon craze has swept the nation and there have been other incidents where children are getting too close to cliff edges and suchlike. “They need to remember to be safe, especially close to the seashore and they should always respect the water.” Source: Evening Standard