[BITList] Doug’s Communique

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Sep 2 00:14:31 BST 2015

For two long years, since blood and tears have been very rife,
Confusion in our war news, burdens more a soldier's life.
But from this chaos, daily like a hospice on the way.
Like a shining light to guide us, rises Doug's Communique.

For should we fail to get the mail, if prisoners won't talk,
If radios are indisposed and carrier pigeons walk,
We have no fear because we'll hear tomorrow's news today
And see our operations plan in Doug's Communique.

Here too, is told the saga bold, of virile deathless youth
In stories seldom tarnished with the plain unvarnished truth.
It's quite a rag, it waves the flag, its motif in the fray,
And modesty is plain to see, in Doug's Communique.

"My battleships bombed the Nips from Maine to Singapore.
My subs have sunk a million tons, They'll sink a billion more.
My aircraft bombed Berlin last night." In Italy they say,
"Our turn's tonight, because it's right in Doug's Communique."

"My armored tanks have moved his ranks, so Rommel's gone to hide,
And the frozen Steppes of Russia see my wild Don Cossacks ride.
My brave beleaguered Chetniks make the Axis sweat and pay."
It's got to be, it's what we see in Doug's Communique.

His area is quite cosmic, and capricious as a breeze;
Ninety times as big as Texas, bigger than Los Angeles,
It springs from lost Atlantis up to where the angels play,
And no sparrow falls unheeded, it's in Doug's Communique.

He used to say, "And with God's help", but lately it has seemed
That his patience is exhausted, and God's on his second team.
And the Cabots and the Lodges, too, have long since ceased to pray
That they'll even squeeze a byline into Doug's Communique.

And while possibly a rumor now, someday it will be a fact,
That the Lord will hear a deep voice say, "Move over God, it's Mac."
So bet your shoes that all the news, on that great Judgement Day,
Will go to press in nothing less than Doug's Communique.

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.