[BITList] Dispute Over Rigged Ship Engine Tests Adds toVolkswagen's Woes - gCaptain

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 22 17:31:27 BST 2015

Mike,

I see no "similarity" between the recent VW affair concerning gadgets to mask emission levels, and the fuel consumption of marine diesels.  And what are "factory tests" of marine diesels? In my time fuel consumptions were specified, then tested on sea trials - never on shop tests - with penalties for higher readings.  These tests were often done by vessel owners as well as the engine builders. On one trial I attended, BP got lower readings than we (Kincaid) did, both sets below the spec.