[BITList] Shock, aftershocks quake Nepal

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed May 13 07:29:17 BST 2015

KTM = Kathmandu.

FOOOCs…

Hi John,
I was in KTM yesterday during the earthquake just near the touristy area of Thamel.

I noticed that people started pouring out on the streets when it happened, so ran for my life on the road, and came to big crossing.

More than the fear of earthquake, I could not bear the agony of the people. So many crying, so many in pain. It was actually a big emotional drain. I think I can now feel a little bit of the suffering there...which can never come thru news and pictures.

I have some relatives and friends there who are sleeping for many days in lawns and open fields, but those too might just crack open.

I volunteered to go there and work on the relief flights operated by Fedex. There were 2 flights with MD11 aircraft, plenty of aid material.

The airport infrastructure and the attitude at the KTM airport is not suitable for the contingency at hand, but luckily the US Air force has set base there, and are helping all the aircraft with the operations. These guys have their tents, kitchens, water, cars, GSE, communication, and even a huge hangar-sized warehouse. those guys are the ones making it all happen. Not much about them in the media...I will send you some pics soon.

There is much expected of the local handlers, but that's best left unsaid - even at such a critical time.

I don't know what to say...but just hope it all ends.