[BITList] Fwd: Many young pupils 'can't communicate' - BBC News

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 27 20:10:57 GMT 2015

Mike,

When I started in Primary J1/3 at Chapelton Primary School, Port Glasgow, on
23-8-1938, Miss Chalmers, Teacher, I got Reading, Spelling, Writing,
Arithmetic and General Proficiency. We were convinced the last mentioned was
a subject, though unsure about its details.  I could communicate up to a
point. The class reader, first lesson, had "A cat sat on a mat, it is a fat
cat, etc."  No matter the persuasion, I wouldn't say "fat", nor would I read
beyond it. Despite this, I got G+ for Reading.