[BITList] : A Brit's response to Zuma s outrage over Jan vanRiebeeck

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 22 16:59:07 GMT 2015

Oh, no he didn't.  At least, not until there became a place called England, some time after all these Danes, etc, came a-rampaging, etc.  I do agree Duke William of Normandy was a bastard - illegitimate son, no less, of Robert the Devil and his mistress, Arlette the tanner's daughter.  The ancestor of the British Vallances, Sir Peter de Valognes, was reputedly the nephew of Duke William, his mother, Adelaide of Normandy, being the sister of Duke William.  My middle name is Vallance, so I'm partly to blame for the rape and pillage.  Sir Peter's nephews, Roger and Philip came north, further north than England, and got refuge with King Malcolm.  The rest is history.

All true.