[BITList] A wall, after Hadrian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 7 13:12:40 GMT 2015

John,

There are two Roman fortlets to the west of where I sit, and another to the
east, all three on the south bank (so to speak) of the Clyde with excellent
views of the river - probably the reason for their position.  From below the
one to the east, at Whitemoss, a chain stretched across the river to the
fort at Old Kilpatrick on the north bank,
whence the Antonine Wall went east. Whitemoss was found by aerial
photography in1949, and from it a road (now 99% vanished) ran west over the
moors to another fortlet on the Lurg Moor above Greenock, found by aerial
photography in1952. The Wall ended at the Outerwards fortlet above
Skermorlie on the Firth of
Clyde, found in or before 1954.  I've been to the Lurg Moor fortlet - a fair
amount is visible. Present concerns centre on stopping the windfarm lot
stick
their windmills all over the moor.  The moor has sites going back 8,000
years.