[BITList] Sea Cocks

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Sun Jun 21 04:11:35 BST 2015

Copied from BI Ship

The story you were given is based on the events in Genoa during the
night of Nov 11th/12th in 1963, when the NOWSHERA suffered the
indignity of settling on the dock bottom when the condenser inspection
door was removed. The deed was performed by one William Bell, JEO, of
the 8-12 watch, who was instructed to remove the door, not simply to
grease the threads but to enable inspection the following morning for a
possible leaking condenser tube. He did indeed remove all the
retaining nuts without waiting for the head of water to drain. I cannot
be certain, but I believe it may have been the overboard discharge
valve that was not closed, the ship being so fully loaded that the
outlet aperture was below sea-level - but it may have been the suction
valve. Anyway, by the time he was ankle deep, it dawned on him that
more sea water had entered the engine room than the condenser could
possibly have held, but by then it was too late to recover. I was
ashore in the Black Cat Bar at the time (honest I was, but cannot
remember with whom). I returned to the vessel to go on watch at mid-
night to find the fire-brigade in attendance, the ship in darkness and
the engine-room full of water (with the contents of the sump floating
on top of the water of course). I like to say now that I refused to
take over the engine-room in that state (or mine?), but truth to tell,
no-one expected me to!

The story is told that with no Italian speaking personnel aboard, too
much time was lost convincing the fire-fighters, as they rolled out
their hoses, that they had been called to pump water out of the ship,
not in to it.

Some two or three years ago there was a request to this site from one
Andrew Lansdale for a picture of the ship to illustrate an article
about the event in Genoa, but whether any such article has ever
appeared I do not know.