[BITList] 'The beauty of the everyday' - BBC News

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Jul 18 07:58:17 BST 2015

From a correspondent…

Tyneside, which I first went to in 1963 to join a ship; where in 1965 I returned to attend a 'mid-apprenticeship release course at South Shields Marine College (and met my Welsh wife to be); where I took all my marine 'tickets, and where we married and first settled, moving south to Norfolk in 1976.

When I first arrived the river Tyne was unbelievably busy and cosmopolitan, with ships parked 3 deep on either side of the river - alive with ship building yards and dry docks, now virtually all gone. The marine college's harbour entrance radar school has to use simulators as there is insufficient traffic on the river for the radars to pick up.

If there is 1 ship on the Tyne now, it is a rarity, and the ship yards and dry docks have been filled in and covered with housing estates - but where is the industry, the employment?
An area forgotten by  our capital, where The North is thought to end at Manchester and Birmingham, but which Geordies consider the Midlands.

There are some fine photos here, capturing a hint of the hard life around the Tyne

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33521208 <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33521208>