[BITList] Is Lidl’s budget kilt something a true Scotsman would ever wear? | Fashion | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 21 14:52:53 GMT 2015

Mike,

I'm not sure what makes a "true Scotsman".  I was born here, but I haven't the Gaelic - there are those of Pakistani origin in the Western Isles who are fluent in it.  In any case, my McIntyres came from Ireland - in the mid 1800s, admittedly, but Ireland just the same. And my mother's paternal ancestry is Irish.  My wife's maiden name is Bain, and the Bains have lived here since the Creation, but her maternal great grandparents were Irish.  Mongrels all of us.

As for the kilt - I've never seen any evidence indicating that Burns ever wore the kilt. He was an Ayrshireman, not a teuchter.  I was at only ever at one Burns Supper (it was teetotal), and there was not a kilt to be seen.  Of course, any piper playing at such would have to wear the kilt, since they go together.  I last wore the kilt when I was a Boy Scout.  Nowadays it's hard to find a wedding in Scotland where all the males in the wedding party aren't garbed head to foot in expensively rented tartan. At our elder daughter's wedding in 1992 there was a chance I might hire the full gear, but the groom's father (a MacFarlane from Arrochar) declined to do so, so I couldn't, and the two of us were in black suits with bow ties.

Would a true Scotsman wear the Lidl kilt? I don't see why not.