[BITList] Rise of the SNP

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Dec 16 03:02:16 GMT 2015

G’day  Hugh,

On 16 Dec 2015, at 5:39 AM, HUGH <chakdara at btinternet.com> wrote:

<< Dalziel is pronounced deeyel or dalyell.  The letter "z" (zed) was substituted when printers abandoned the letter yogh, but the original pronunciation persisted, probably a bit mangled by now. It's not on the keyboard, and I can't pronounce it online. >>

Thank you for that. I have not heard of ‘yoga’ before so I went to he who knows all Mr Google and found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh>

Which I found very interesting.

This then led me to the surname - Fetherstonhough - and why it is pronounced ‘Fanshawe’

‘Cholmondeley <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholmondeley>’ pronounced ‘Chumly’.

And found…

List of names in English with counterintuitive pronunciations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_in_English_with_counterintuitive_pronunciations <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_in_English_with_counterintuitive_pronunciations>

An interesting read as it turned out to be.