[BITList] ANZAC Day Townsville.

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun Apr 26 07:03:29 BST 2015

G'day folks,

Some notes on ANZAC Day in Townsville.

First World War - In 1914 the population of the town was 9,000.

38% of the eligible men joined up.

165 of them did not return.

Gallipoli - The Australian Army 3rd Brigade was the force that landed at Gallipoli in 1915.

Townsville's population is now around 180,000.

Townsville is the largest Army base in Australia. The main body at the Base is the 3rd Brigade.

The Australian Light Horse Cavalry traditionally lead the ANZAC Parades in Australia. This year there was but one member of the ALH to lead the Parade

The 3rd Brigade led the ANZAC March here in Townsville. Some 2,500 men and women marched past - 5 abreast!

Photo by gemmasneyd.

I normally march with the Townsville RSL.

While I was teaching at Ignatius Park College here in Townsville I always attended their ANZAC Day Mass - on the nearest day preceding ANZAC Day. I have continue to attend since I retired.

So this year I decided to march with the boys from the College.

4 Photos by our daughter Joanne.

We are very proud that our daughter Wendy, is serving with the RAAF in the Middle East. She is a Nursing Officer in the RAAF Reserves.

She is the clown bringing up the rear!  :-)

The next three links are from the Townsville Bulletin.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville/anzac-day-2015-townsville-honours-the-fallen-with-record-crowd-at-dawn/story-fnjfzsax-1227320019914 <http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville/anzac-day-2015-townsville-honours-the-fallen-with-record-crowd-at-dawn/story-fnjfzsax-1227320019914>

ANZAC Day Dawn Service.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/photos-fnjfzpyk-1227320124741?page=1 <http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/photos-fnjfzpyk-1227320124741?page=1>

ANZAC Day March

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville/photos-fnjfzsax-1227320303369?page=1 <http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville/photos-fnjfzsax-1227320303369?page=1>

Only the dead have seen the end of war. [attrib: Plato]

Lest We Forget.