[BITList] Binge drinking drove me out of Britain | AnnalisaCoppolaro-Nowell | Comment is free | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 10 10:43:12 BST 2015

Mike,

Quite apart from the glib silliness of assuming Pimlico is typical of the rest of the UK with regard to the excessive quanities of wine drunk at fancy parties down there, why does she - and many others - assume Britain is the UK?  Britain is an island, not a country. Britain does not include the Isle of Wight, Anglesey, Holy Island, the Isle of Man, Bute, the Western Isles, the Orkney Isles and the Shetland Isles.  Great Britain includes these, and maybe others I've missed, but not Northern Ireland - the UK is all of the above plus NI.  On the other hand, the British Isles includes Ireland, it being a geographic term.  But British? - you takes your pick.