[BITList] SCHOOL - 1950s v 2014

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 21 17:35:47 BST 2014

All basically true.  Around Halloween we used to waste our non existent money by exploding bangers in the keyhole of an intriguing wooden shed that had been erected during WW2 near our home - in the hope of getting in to see what was what.  The bangs were exciting, but the door never moved, and nobody ever commented on what we were up to.  We moved away and the mystery was never solved. I brought the unburnt remains of big fireworks down from the VE Day bonfire and, being an idiot and in alone, stuck them on the kitchen fire. The result was satisfactory.  Multi-coloured balls of flame shot up the chimney. Fights always ended when blood, an adult, or the Police appeared.  Indeed, everything ended when the law appeared, even doing nothing.