[BITList] Fw: Scotland has voted for unity

John Davison davison.g at xtra.co.nz
Fri Sep 19 20:59:46 BST 2014

John R Wright Ednam Mains House Ednam Nr Kelso TD5 7QJ Tel 01573 224330 Fax 01573 225292 Mob 07971 478577

PRINICIPIS VIRTUS MAXIMA NOSSE SUOS
"The Chief Duty of a Leader is to Know His People"!

                        Let us move forward together...

                       Follow us on...

                              Dear John,

                              The people of Scotland have spoken in overwhelming numbers. We have chosen unity. Unity over division and positive change for the future of our country.

                              We have produced a momentous result for Scotland and also for the United Kingdom as a whole. By confirming our place within the UK, we have reaffirmed all that we have in common and the bonds that tie us together. Let them never be broken.

                              But as we celebrate, let us also listen. More than 85 per cent of the Scottish population has voted. People who were disengaged from politics have turned out in large numbers.

                              While they have voted on the constitution, that was not the only or perhaps the major issue that drove them to the polls. Every political party must listen to their cry for change, which could be echoed in every part of our United Kingdom but had this opportunity to express itself in Scotland.

                              I write now to thank you for your support. To the great team of volunteers who have worked for this outcome, I want to say thanks from the bottom of my heart. You represent the majority of opinion. Your voices have been heard. We have taken on the argument and won.

                              We must also recognise that the debate has created some fairly deep divisions in our country. The campaign has been energising but it has also been divisive. Many of our people have felt unable to speak out except through the ballot box.

                              This division now needs to be addressed. This requires leadership, and my colleagues and I will play our part in bringing the country together to demonstrate that after this vote we remain united.

                              So the vote is over. The Scottish people have given their verdict.

                              We have made a decision for progress and change, for Scotland within the United Kingdom. The next stage of our journey now begins.

                              With all my thanks for all that you have done.

                              Alistair Darling MP

                 This email has been sent to john_christinewright at hotmail.com.

                  Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. If you no longer wish to receive emails from Better Together, please unsubscribe. View our Privacy Policy.