[BITList] Ballale - Solomon Islands

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Thu Oct 9 05:25:36 BST 2014

G’day folks,

A fair bit to read.

Back in 1984 I visited the tiny island of Ballale. An island full of stories,

I spent about 30 minutes on Ballale - but that’s another story.

Taken over by the Japanese during the war.

Populated by British POWs from Singapore and used as slave labour to build an airfield.

Massacred there.

An airfield full of Japanese aircraft damaged by continual bombing raids by US aircraft but now left to rot in the jungle on either side of the runway.

Here is the story of what happened to all those aircraft.

Graft and greed being the main problem. And man’s inhumanity to man.

Read on…lots to read in the first URL then the video.

http://www.missingaircrew.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=9;t=000224 <http://www.missingaircrew.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=9;t=000224>

Which has this Youtube movie [down at the bottom]

https://www.youtube.com/v/iGdF0G-4v5E <https://www.youtube.com/v/iGdF0G-4v5E>

http://www.australian-pow-ww2.com/page_29.html <http://www.australian-pow-ww2.com/page_29.html>

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/solomons/ballale/ <http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/solomons/ballale/>

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/solomons/ballale/salvage.html <http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/solomons/ballale/salvage.html>