[BITList] A city with streets named after people instead of what they did - who will remember them?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 28 10:39:24 GMT 2014

John,

They must have helluva long street signs in Kolkata - much longer than the
ones they had in Calcutta.

I abhor the practice of changing street names, especially arbitrarily, as in
Calcutta. Often it's done through total ignorance.  In this town the parish
church, built about 1718, became too small, having only 1,800 seats, so in
about 1755 they built a Chapel of Ease away up the hill from it, seating
2,000. The long lane going to it was named Chapel Lane, and that was its
name until a few years back, when it was suddenly renamed Huntly Terrace.
This was particularly irritating to me, for Huntley Terrace (an "e" in the
middle) had been nothing more than a nondescript building on the Lane with
no historical associations whatever.  In our area it is hard to find a
council functionary who lives here, hence their igorance of the place.

Most streets around here were named after persons, either as a mark of
respect to some local or national bigwig, or with the surname of the person
who first feued land on the street and built on it. A odd exception to the
latter is William Street in Greenock, called after William Alexander who
built the first house on it in 1752.