[BITList] Beretta

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Nov 26 23:17:33 GMT 2014

G’day Hugh,

On 27 Nov 2014, at 2:43 am, HUGH <chakdara at btinternet.com> wrote:

I'm not one for guns, but some of the hand finishing is brilliant.  I noted one of them pulled the file back on the job. Old John Sturrock, who taught me how to file, etc, in 1949, would turn in his grave were he still alive. Each time I do it I can hear him.

I empathise with that thought.

Every time I see my wife using a screwdriver and hammer I remember my grandfather, who served a 7 year apprenticeship, saying, “A screwdriver is not a chisel!”

Grand-dad served his time as a Wheelwright.

In his first year he had to make his own tools from bars of steel.

Maybe Mike has a few memories of him and his tools.