[BITList] The Ultimate Tam O`Shanter

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 23 13:10:47 GMT 2014

John,

Some odd comments.  Amateur?  What? Should have been done with an Ayrshire accent?  Which Ayrshire accent? How did Burns speak?

It is permitted by poetic licence to show Tam imbibing in church with Kirkton Jean, but the real Kirkton Jean was the respectable mine host of the Inn at the Kirkton. Burns also used poetic licence in saying Tam drank with her.

While in Denmark I used to try to recite the poem to myself while walking through Strandskov, a lovely wood that stretched between our house and the shipyard by the Odense Kanal. I only know it as far as the bit I reached at the end.