[BITList] Fwd: BI Tankers

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Thu Nov 20 07:23:51 GMT 2014

G’day folks,

I have been corresponding with another salty who was at sea on tankers.

He sent me this yarn.

Is there any one who wants to open this List to new blood?

Just let me know yes or no. It can be done in private emails to me if you’re shy!

ooroo

The one and only time we picked up a stowaway, I rang H.Q. Aberdeen.

Unfortunate timing - two of our ships had just bounced off a rig in the South China Sea something to do with being asked to supply in extreme weather conditions.

So, I was not very popular when I rang in with my glad tidings.

It did have its farcical side: we had been working (pipelaying ops) out of Tunis across the Med. to southern Italy, and then from another base, in Trapani, for the second part of the pipe.

On completion, we sailed for Aberdeen, clearing the Straits on Christmas Eve and encountering some bouncy weather, when I heard a startled cry - the 2/ E had just discovered a pair of eyes looking at him when he opened an enclosed lifeboat for a routine inspection.

Brought to my office, this little dusky man could not understand my classic Italian/English dictionary or any other attempts at linguistic contortions.

His wallet help a photo of his brother and some Monopoly money - literally.

We thought he was Tunisian although he was not Arabic looking.

When we got closer to home, and H.Q. had calmed down a bit, I phoned again and this time they had the local Italian consul who spoke with our escapist.

Transpires he was a gypsy from Sarajavo, who worked his way (legally) down through Italy and when he reached Trapani wanted to catch a ship to Marsailles where his girlfriend was at a big Romany convention

He had been robbed of his passport etc but managed to pay for false information and having overpaid was given back some Monopoly money by those very generous Siscillean dock works.

On arrival at Aberdeen we were met by the boss (who couldn't stop laughing), the Italian consul who had a restaurant in town, and a really sour immigration prat.

The latter asked where our man was from - he shrugged but I solved the problem by crudely sketching a caravan - the Prat got sourer, by boss left the cabin in near hysterics

Prat said he had to go back to Italy but consul said No - we're all part of the E.C. He suddenly became very unpopular with Le Prat

Prat said he had no work so I innocently asked the consul/restaurant if he had a violin.

Gypsey / violin. - seemed so logical

I thought Prat was going to arrest me too but we had to organise a stretcher for my boss first who was about to expire from mirth - he really was not much help.

The consul thought it was all great fun and offered us free pasta.

I rang for a straight jacket for the Prat before he could call for his goon squad to arrest the ship and all who sailed on her.

Well, they may have been small but those offshore support vessel did offer some variety and fun.