[BITList] Heights

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Sat May 31 13:14:17 BST 2014

What I can't work out,if this climbing feat is so great then what about
the men that work up there.
The crane wire looked rather rusty.
How did they get down with out being arrested? or were they and let go
as being crazy!

*Subject:* Heights
Try this......................................
If you are afraid of heights then look away now as these photographs
from the top of a super skyscraper are wrong on so many levels.
Captured from over 2000 feet above the ground, the fear-inducing images
reveal what it is like to stand above the tallest building in China.
Urban ninjas Vadim Makhorov and Vitaly Raskalov climbed continuously for
two hours before conquering the partly constructed Shanghai Tower.
And – sure, heights for me are in the same category as going into small
holes in the ground – scary!!!
Without a life vest I feel safest at no higher than 6ft!
A 2000ft tall building – shoot that’s 3 furlongs high
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where’s the benefit in that unless it’s getting out of the fog/smog & I
wonder who’ll be living on the top floor – rent could be a bit, too,
I’ll bet??
Creepy, tho, looking down on/through the clouds – view would be a bit
dim if they came too high and you could see nothing – then where’s the
point!
Classy looking buildings elsewhere too!
I wonder at what the height the building finally tops out & what the
building sway is at the top; more how its controlled when it gets a bit
windy!
Something for Kim Yong whotsit in North Korea to try and best I wonder??
& if he can’t could it be a prospect for another 9/11. That would be bit
worrying, wouldn’t it
Up, up and away: Vadim Makhorov standing on a crane on top of the
Shanghai Tower, China
/Up, up and away: Vadim Makhorov standing on a crane on top of the
Shanghai Tower, China/
//
But look someone’s above him – further out on this crane jib, taking his
picture!!
Thrill-seeker: Vadim Makhorov sits on a cage attached to a crane on top
of the tower
/Thrill-seeker: Vadim Makhorov sits on a cage attached to a crane on top
of the tower/
The height of daring: The view of Shanghai from the top of the partly
constructed Shanghai Tower
/The height of daring: The view of Shanghai from the top of the partly
constructed Shanghai Tower/
The view from the heavens: Vitaly Raskalov's feet dangling from the top
of the Shanghai Tower
/The view from the heavens: Vitaly Raskalov's feet dangling from the top
of the Shanghai Tower /
Unbelievably, the plucky pair used no safety equipment on their awesome
ascent and were so high they even passed through clouds.
In an effort to avoid the Chinese authorities, the undaunted duo had to
wait for the cover of darkness before scaling the world's second tallest
tower.
Vadim said: ‘There are a lot of guards and cameras around in the day
time, so we started climbing during the night, it was easier to stay
unnoticed that way.
Ascent: The stunning view at night as the pair make their way up
/Ascent: The stunning view at night as the pair make their way up/
The climbers lost an entire night's sleep in order to carry out their
daring stunt
/The climbers lost an entire night's sleep in order to carry out their
daring stunt/
//
//
I think I’d have lost a bit more than that!!
Clouds covering the view of Shanghai early in the morning and taken from
the top of the superscraper
/Clouds covering the view of Shanghai early in the morning and taken
from the top of the superscraper/
The Shanghai Tower is the second tallest building in the world - and
very few will get this view from it
/The Shanghai Tower is the second tallest building in the world - and
very few will get this view from it/
Nerves of steel: Here Mr Makhorov sits casually at the top of the tower
with his camera, seemingly without a care in the world
/Nerves of steel: Here Mr Makhorov sits casually at the top of the tower
with his camera, seemingly without a care in the world/
//
What’s the other bloke doing then??
The climbers had to wait a while before the clouds cleared - but the
view was still spectacular
/The climbers had to wait a while before the clouds cleared - but the
view was still spectacular/
The stunt would test the nerves of even the bravest climber
/The stunt would test the nerves of even the bravest climber/
The clouds part to reveal the ground - 2,000 feet below
/The clouds part to reveal the ground - 2,000 feet below/
‘It took about two hours to get to the top, but when we got there we
could only see clouds.
‘We had to wait for hours for the clouds to part but it was well worth
the wait. The view was like something from an aircraft window.
‘As soon as we saw a gap in the clouds were climbed right to the top of
the crane and were able to get some great shots of the city below.
‘We were not afraid at all and we have never had any injuries as a
result of our sky walking.
‘As a result of our “mission”, we didn't get any sleep for over 24
hours. It was physically and mentally challenging for the both of us.
‘Our target was to climb the highest tower in China - the second highest
in the world. It felt amazing to accomplish it. The sky is the limit!’
EEEjuts – I wonder what would have happened if one or other of them had
bottled??