[BITList] Bad grammar: rogue apostrophes and bizarre spelling - in pictures | Books | theguardian.com

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Wed May 14 09:18:05 BST 2014

Edition:UKUSAUSign inBeta About us     Today's paper     Subscribe

News
Sport
Comment
Culture
Business
Money
Life & style
Travel
Environment
Tech
TV
Video
Dating
Offers
Jobs
Culture
Books
Books blog

Bad grammar: rogue apostrophes and bizarre spelling - in pictures
In honour of the Bad Grammar awards, we asked readers to share examples of grammatical gaffes by institutions or people who should know better – and you sent in more than a few rogue apostrophes and a wide variety of other errors. Here is a selection of your contributions

See all the photos on GuardianWitness
Share             1401
inShare
26     Email
Guardian readers and Marta Bausells
theguardian.com, Tuesday 13 May 2014 12.46 BST

What's missing, a hyphen or a comma? Photograph: Ian Hart/GuardianWitness

Not just for Friday's what? "This effort by Tesco again. Stroud, Gloucestershire." Photograph: carnaptious99/GuardianWitness

The London Cabinet Maker: "In King's Cross, London." Photograph: ferfcuksake/GuardianWitness

They do what to the bacon? "City of Bath College." Photograph: MightyAntar/GuardianWitness

Women's health centre in Dublin 7: "I laugh whenever I walk past. They got the apostrophe correct but would you trust them with your helth?" Photograph: dannyboydublin/GuardianWitness

We've listened to your feedback, but not looked. Photograph: Minky13/GuardianWitness

Apostrophe misuse alive and well in Melbourne. Twice. Photograph: EmmaB/GuardianWitness

NatWest getting it wrong: "I have tweeted the screenshot to them a while ago, no changes made." Photograph: Kinga Pasko/GuardianWitness

Bad grammar sours beverage: "Annoying on-counter ad for Vit Hit." Photograph: emmyemmylondon/GuardianWitness

Cineworld should, know, better: "Saw this advert in the Cineworld toilets. Bad enough place to be at the best of times without extraneous commas." Photograph: GabrielJS/GuardianWitness

"A extraordinary taste sensation?" "Obviously it should be 'An extraordinary taste sensation'. I can't believe such an obvious mistake wasn't picked up by someone within the company (Collier's Powerful Welsh Cheddar)." Photograph: Sionyn/GuardianWitness

Apostrophe catastrophe at Tesco Bank: "Gloria, a glamorous marketing sign in the Tesco Bank Haymarket office, displays an appalling lack of grammar." Photograph: Ancridhe/GuardianWitness

Makers of (an admittedly great-tasting) breakfast muesli: "I pointed out this error to them ten years ago. The box is still in circulation. Accordingly, so is my grammatical wrath." Photograph: Lesedi Amore/GuardianWitness

Sainsbury's Surprises: "A rare offender. Sainsbury's surprises with its apostrophe error." Photograph: Antoine Ó Fionnagáin Moreno/GuardianWitness

Everyday error every day: "In Poundland." Photograph: 8002575540/GuardianWitness

Kentucky Fried Grammar: "Taken in Copenhagen." Photograph: HelenSB/GuardianWitness

It's a good thing they are not giving out free grammar lessons: "Spotted in the local free Metro paper." Photograph: ID4788819/GuardianWitness

Buy one apostrophe and get one free? That's why it's redundant! "Whitehall (redundant apostrophe) Preserve Society!" Photograph: BountifulOne/GuardianWitness

Is English grammar in the UK going to the dogs?: Discount cosmetics store somewhere in the South West of England Photograph: Catharegirl/GuardianWitness

Hmmmm, are little boys really made "off"?! "Everybody is familiar with the nursery rhyme "slugs, snails and puppy dog tails, that's what little boys are made of", well that's everyone except Dunnes Stores in the UK who are the makers of this grammatically incorrect sleepsuit designed for babies." Photograph: suziestrawberry/GuardianWitness

Label on M&S jeans, 2013: "I naturally returned the jeans to Marks and Spencer because they were of grammatically unacceptable quality." Photograph: richardthomson/GuardianWitness

Just the one picture. Photograph: Tara Barnett/GuardianWitness

Classical mistake: "Escape door on bus in Nottingham." Photograph: Joanne Whetstone/GuardianWitness

Surely the extra E would have fit. Photograph: Minky13/GuardianWitness

If you must get a tattoo here, dont let them do word's: "Probably the owner's name is Mr. Tattoo, and this is Tattoo's Tattoo Parlour. That would explain it. I've always envied those people whose last names tell them what line of work to pursue." Photograph: tarian/GuardianWitness
Share
inShare
     Email
More galleries from The Guardian

Apostrophe catastrophes – in pictures

What's with all the 'quotation marks'? - in pictures

Cherry blossom - your pictures so far

Iran stories – your pictures

Your views of tall buildings - in pictures

Christmas lights around the world — your pictures

Alternative Germany – readers' pictures

The worst TV subtitle gaffes – your pictures

Tech Monthly readers' photography project: elements

Your Christmas jumpers – in pictures

Snow blankets Britain: readers' pictures

Readers' best smartphone travel photos

Today's best video

The week in TV
Telly addict Andrew Collins reviews In The Flesh, 24 (above), Hannibal, The Island with Bear Grylls and Billy Connolly's The Big Send Off
32 comments

South Korean building leans 20 degrees
Seven-storey building still under construction tilts alarmingly

Danish parliament's cartoon to encourage voting in European elections
Controversial animation was withdrawn after complaints

Trailer for Bryan Singer's new film, in which Wolverine travels back in time
Books
Written language
Culture
Science
Language
More galleries
More on this story

The Bad Grammar award means a great deal
Hadley Freeman: It's been charged with sneering misanthropy, but as a judge I say that our children's lives may depend upon it
The Bad Grammar awards are prize stupidity
English language offenders: show us examples of bad grammar
Bad Grammar award reveals shortlist of English language offenders
Find books to review, discuss, buy
    Search all (title, author or ISBN)
 Title only
 Author only

This week's bestsellers
1. Redbreast
by Jo Nesbo
£4.79
2. Moor
by William Atkins £12.99
3. Capital in the Twenty-First Century
by Thomas Piketty £29.95
4. Economics: The User's Guide
by Ha Joon Chang £5.99
5. You are the Ref
by Paul Trevillion £9.99
Search the Guardian bookshop
Writing courses from the Guardian

Writing historical fiction
Weekend 28-29 June, London: Learn to use the past to inspire new stories, with award-winning novelist Katharine McMahon.
Price: £399
Learn more and book

How to use grammar
Tuesday 10 June, London: Become a grammar grandmaster with senior Guardian editor David Marsh.
Price: £49
Learn more and book

How to write contemporary poetry
Weekend 7-8 June, London: How to find – or refine – a unique voice in a new era of eclectic verse.
Price: £399
Learn more and book

On Books
Most viewed
Latest
Last 24 hours
1. Bad grammar: rogue apostrophes and bizarre spelling - in pictures
2. Glenn Greenwald: how the NSA tampers with US-made internet routers
3. Topless Pulp Fiction Appreciation Society takes off
4. Hercule Poirot's real-life model may have been detected in Torquay
5. Stephen Fry: the letter that saved my life - video
More most viewed

Follow NSA-related developments as controversy over leaks continues to make headlines
Latest reviews

Animals by Emma Jane Unsworth – a fevered tale of female friendship
Romantic entanglements are relegated to the background in this bad-girl novel about two Manchester flatmates, writes Lucy Scholes
The Baby Boom by PJ O'Rourke review – the best generation in history
Cricket: A Modern Anthology review – perfect for when rain stops play
Saree by Su Dharmapala – book review
Top 10 science and tech books for May: investigating dark matter and should we be eating more fat?
More books reviews
Sponsored feature

Enjoy springtime in Cyprus
Find ideas for walking, cycling, archaeological and foodie holidays plus, enter a competition to win one of three hampers packed with delicious Cypriot treats. In association with the Cyprus Tourism Organisation.

Find the latest jobs in your sector:
Arts & heritage
Charities
Education
Environment
Government
Graduate
Health
Marketing & PR
Media
Sales
Senior executive
Social care
Browse all jobs

Ads by Google
IQ Test Online
30 Multiple Questions. The Newest IQ Intelligence Test.
www.test-my-iq.com
1000 Flyers Only £15
Fast, Cheap & Professional Flyers 24 Hour Dispatch, No Hidden Costs
www.instantprint.co.uk/flyers
Practice Spanish Verbs
Step 1:Throw Away The Verb Chart. Step 2: Try The Audio On This Page
synergyspanishsystems.com/blog