[BITList] Fwd: Fwd: Merchant Sailors Records, 1855-1948 (featuring Tony Robinson) - YouTube

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Fri Mar 14 00:27:45 GMT 2014

G’day Hugh,

On 14 Mar 2014, at 2:47 am, HUGH <chakdara at btinternet.com> wrote:

Ancestry.com does not cover the world, as one comment states.  They buy
access to public records and charge the public for access to them online.
It has no access to Scottish records whatever.

Any records they have which are not digital copies of official records are
transcriptions.  I have helped a few poor souls who were in receipt of weird
and wonderful transcriptions of the Scottish census lists.  They paid for
access to them.

To gain access to what they have you can generally go to your local Library. Most Libraries have a group subscription.. At least they do here in Australia.

Making a booking is usually essential.

I use Ancestry very sparingly and with great carefulness.

The information contained in there is not always correct.

Always use the original document to support any information - if possible.

ooroo

The palest ink is more reliable than the strongest memory.

Chinese Proverb.