[BITList] PNG court orders Ok Tedi to halt dumping waste

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Mon Jan 27 07:06:31 GMT 2014

G’day folks,

It’s a bit late now.

BHP were dumping the waste down the river, untreated in any way at all.

How do I know this?

I was there in 1987 and I walked all the way through the waste tunnel - a very long tunnel it was too - and observed the outflow of the huge pipe directly into the river, on the mine site -  not downstream as is shown in the photo below.

New post on Papua New Guinea Mine Watch

PNG court orders Ok Tedi to halt dumping waste

by ramunickel
Liam Cochrane | ABC Australian Network News

PHOTO: A pipe from the Ok Tedi mine pours waste into the Ok Tedi river (Photo: ABC TV)
Papua New Guinea's National Court has ordered the Ok Tedi mining company to stop dumping waste into the adjacent Ok Tedi River - a move that would effectively shut down the mine.
Communities in the South Fly River area, in southwest PNG 500 kilometres downstream from the mine, filed a writ claiming the dumping of waste and tailings into the nearby river system is illegal.
Justice Gibbs Salika has ordered the dumping stop.
The court also ordered bank accounts, including an ANZ account, be frozen, and details of transactions disclosed.
Lawyer for the South Fly community leaders, Samson Jubi, says the interim order is long overdue.
"Everybody wants that mine to be shut," he said.
"Enough is enough. We have suffered enough."
The order will be served to Ok Tedi on Monday.
An Ok Tedi spokeswoman said the company had "no comment at this time".
The matter will return to court on February 12.
ramunickel | January 27, 2014 at 8:11 am | Tags: Environmental damage, Fly river, Human rights, Landholders, Ok Tedi, Papua New Guinea, Western Province | Categories: Environmental impact, Papua New Guinea | URL: http://wp.me/pMvf7-2ZN
Comment	   See all comments
Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Papua New Guinea Mine Watch.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.
http://ramumine.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/png-court-orders-ok-tedi-to-halt-dumping-waste/
Thanks for flying with  WordPress.com

ooroo

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light."
Spike Milligan

ooroo

Let your life lightly dance on the edges of time, like dew on the tip of a leaf.

     Rabindranath Tagore