[BITList] burns night

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 26 20:37:41 GMT 2014

Frank,

Despite Greenock Burns Club being the Mother Club, and my cousin Hugh an
accomplished speaker at such, I have been at only one Burns Supper, and that
was a teetotal one. Or so I was led to believe by the appearance of bottles
of Coca Cola and Barr's Irn Bru, etc, on the tables. I accompanied my
brother-in-law's father-in-law, Hans Knauf (regrettably now dead) who, like
me, was not a teetotaler.  That was some years back - I learned recently
that soft drinks were most unlikely to have been contained in the bottles on
the top table, so Rabbie would have rested easy.

The above Hans first saw this place from a plane, which led me for some
years to assume he'd been in theLuftwaffe. Not so - he was transferred from
a camp in the USA to Scotland.  He only left once the Wall came down and
travel to East Germany was easier, and then only for a holiday.