[BITList] Version of a 1950's E-Mail

Malcolm malcena2 at uwclub.net
Sat Jan 25 12:57:01 GMT 2014

The roaring fifties ,remember them well
I loved this, so true. These really were the good old days

Subject: Version of a 1950's E-Mail

I have no idea who put this together, but it is wonderful!
cid:B192044C745D413DAE70908AD2143924 at CraigPC
Long ago and far away, in a land that time forgot,
Before the days of Dylan , or the dawn of Camelot.
There lived a race of innocents, and they were you and me,
cid:91461A9900CF404E83DEAA42E1B5215B at CraigPC
For Ike was in the White House in that land where we were born,

Where navels were for oranges, and Peyton Place was porn.
cid:D7B9FB506B7A4D98A450BF0A30B9B4F2 at CraigPC
We longed for love and romance, and waited for our Prince,
Eddie Fisher married Liz, and no one's seen him since.
cid:9616CB8E4F494890A16FBB5097A56E56 at CraigPC
We danced to 'Little Darlin,' and sang to 'Stagger Lee'
And cried for Buddy Holly in the Land That Made Me, Me.
cid:3BF2F8B2E479499CAB4CDB5550274F7C at CraigPCcid:7A5797CA0EBB476D9C70256F1EED
F85A at CraigPCcid:FD9C634469C24236B3BD9211A3C33739 at CraigPC
Only girls wore earrings then, and 3 was one too many,
And only boys wore flat-top cuts, except for Jean McKinney.
cid:ED2F4AE68EA44E58AFAFE0510256C65C at CraigPC
And only in our wildest dreams did we expect to see,
A boy named George with Lipstick, in the Land That Made Me,Me.
cid:0DA36968A4944D7AAE6C7BC8DC18F0CD at CraigPC
We fell for Frankie Avalon, Annette was oh, so nice,
And when they made a movie, they never made it twice.
cid:016FF26854AD483E85D161F2D64BF0E9 at CraigPC
We didn't have a Star Trek Five, or Psycho Two and Three,
Or Rocky-Rambo Twenty in the Land That Made Me, Me.
cid:8BBDC03BC461435A810E1AC15AFA78E7 at CraigPC
Miss Kitty had a heart of gold, and Chester had a limp,
And Reagan was a Democrat whose co-star was a chimp.
cid:3C21B5D3C8764BC2A23D2EC0267F2320 at CraigPC
We had a Mr. Wizard, but not a Mr. T,
And Oprah couldn't talk yet, in the Land That Made Me, Me.
We had our share of heroes, we never thought they'd go,
At least not Bobby Darin, or Marilyn Monroe.
cid:DF134ADB42804AEF8793501FB6AD3817 at CraigPC
For youth was still eternal, and life was yet to be,
And Elvis was forever in the Land That Made Me, Me.
cid:53DD4AC96D6F45CA82BBC92F4F2FEB39 at CraigPC
We'd never seen the rock band that was Grateful to be Dead,
And Airplanes weren't named Jefferson , and Zeppelins were not Led.

And Beatles lived in gardens then, and Monkees lived in trees,
Madonna was Mary in the Land That Made Me, Me.
cid:F8D962B0A55D4B2CA8C84617B6373703 at CraigPC
We'd never heard of microwaves, or telephones in cars,
And babies might be bottle-fed, but they were not grown in jars.
cid:160C3173040D466DA0B43614134A4EAD at CraigPC
And pumping iron got wrinkles out, and 'gay' meant fancy-free,
And dorms were never co-Ed in the Land That Made Me, Me.
We hadn't seen enough of jets to talk about the lag,
And microchips were what was left at the bottom of the bag.
cid:AC8A770B55CD4900AB72A80E73F02003 at CraigPC
And hardware was a box of nails, and bytes came from a flea,
And rocket ships were fiction in the Land That Made Me, Me.
cid:BFA35FFB525148418FDF4F824BBABAF3 at CraigPC
T-Birds came with portholes, and side shows came with freaks,
And bathing suits came big enough to cover both your cheeks.
cid:D1154D194624499896BCF15EBA67B33B at CraigPC
And Coke came just in bottles, and skirts below the knee,
And Castro came to power near the Land That Made Me, Me.
We had no Crest with Fluoride, we had no Hill Street Blues,
We had no patterned pantyhose or Lipton herbal tea,
Or prime-time ads for those dysfunctions in the Land That Made Me,Me.
cid:C7FDA9BBE9FD4CB4BB1CE29E512AD3D7 at CraigPC
There were no golden arches, no Perrier to chill,
And fish were not called Wanda, and cats were not called Bill.
cid:F2E8BCA6C7E34AF2BE2D90CE073CE121 at CraigPC
And middle-aged was 35 and old was forty-three,
And ancient were our parents in the Land That Made Me, Me.
cid:10D0A5D75AC34DA7A5E763DA6A2289E6 at CraigPC
But all things have a season, or so we've heard them say,
And now instead of Maybelline we swear by Retin-A.
They send us invitations to join AARP,
We've come a long way, baby, from the Land That Made Me, Me.

So now we face a brave new world in slightly larger jeans,
And wonder why they're using smaller print in magazines.
And we tell our children's children of the way it used to be,
Long ago and far away in the Land That Made Me, Me.
cid:D1DFEDA32C14414E90E094A6B18DAEDF at CraigPC
If you didn't grow up in the fifties, you missed the greatest time in
history.
Hope you enjoyed this read as much as I did.