[BITList] Wooden Christmas Tree

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 20 10:21:49 GMT 2014

John,

My wood chisels have been used for various engineering jobs, so any edges they ever had have long gone.

I was bloody impressed, nay, astonished, by the skill shown by the chap.  For one. lengthening the chisel stroke to get the different diameters can't be easy to control. I was also impressed by the nonchalant way he did the work without goggles, gumshield, steel-toecapped boots, hard hat, heavy gloves, risk assessment analysis, and other such bullshit.  I see some other videos there of fancy wood turning skills.

Though at a lesser skill level, I have been doing tricky things with cardboard. Our younger granddaughter gets married next month, and she devised table centrepieces each of which consists of a gold metal birdcage 8" diameter with a battery operated candle inside, the whole sitting in a double ring of white roses on a shallow conical cardboard base. Each rose is made from multiple layers of flower shaped white cloth, folded and glued together.  We, mostly my wife, have cut out hundreds of the shapes to a template - granddaughter Sarah makes the roses. For the conical bases I had to derive from scratch the method of developing the frustum of a cone - I last used that at night classes before I went to sea, but it soon came back, though I doubt if it was the method used by the sheet metal workers in Scott's Foundry.