[BITList] First documentary on George Orwell's birthplace - Motihari, Bihar

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Mon Jan 20 01:56:08 GMT 2014

Documentary on '1984' author George Orwell

Patna, January 18, 2014

As a special tribute to English author George Orwell, a documentary
film seeks to spread awareness about the importance of cherishing the
legacy of his birthplace.

Mr. Orwell was born on in the lake town of Motihari in Bihar's East
Champaran district. For many years this part of his life was not known
to the local residents until renowned British journalist Ian Jan discovered
the birthplace in 1983.

The short film titled 'Orwell..! ...but why?' is "the first ever documentary
made on the writer's birthplace," said director Bishwajeet Mookherjee,
also a freelance journalist based in Delhi.

"The film - a social awareness project - seeks to address three main issues:
the ignorance about the place, the ignorance about Mr. Orwell himself and
why we need to promote his birthplace," Mr. Mookherjee told The Hindu.

A group of local citizens from the Rotary Club have been campaigning with
the State government for building a memorial in the place. For a brief
period the issue took a controversial turn with local politicians opposing
the idea on the ground that Mr. Orwell's birthplace was a symbol of British
imperialism. In a rival bid, they proposed a Satyagraha Park in the next
plot.

"People asked, 'why should we promote an 'angrez' [Englishman] in a place
like 'Motihari' which is known for its contribution to the Indian freedom
struggle?' When I started my research on the film last November, I went
through Mr. Orwell's biography as well as his writings. In his book 'Burmese
Days', there are first reflections of his anti-imperialist position. In
fact, I learnt that he was one of the chief guests at a celebration held in
London on August 15, 1947. He loved India, but why has India forgotten him?"
Mr. Mookherjee said.

The documentary will be released at MS College in Motihari on January 21,
Mr. Orwell's death anniversary.

The 23 minute six second video will also be uploaded on YouTube.

"Every year, we celebrate his anniversary with floral tributes, but Motihari
remains unaware about him. The documentary will help us reach a wider
audience," Mr. Mookherjee said.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/documentary-on-1984-author-george-orwell/article5590649.ece?homepage=true

ooroo

Greetings to you from Townsville, where the weather today was beautiful.

Tomorrow it will be perfect.