[BITList] Fwd: Military 'may have to abandon flood-prone bases' -Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 22 11:34:19 GMT 2014

Mike,

I know of no report of a risk of flooding around the Clyde, per se, let
alone one that would be anywhere near what they are experiencing down south.
Everyone knows somebody who can remember being told of the day when high
tide came up and over this and that street.  Most floods we have are down to
bad maintenance of the flow from the hills, and inadequate piping that was
not designed for a higher than usual tide. The playing surface of Cappielow
Park in Greenock, home of Greenock Morton, was raised about a metre many
years ago, to get rid of having to postpone games that coincided with very
high tides. I have childhood memories of buses queuing to go through the
shallow bit.

And poor King Canute - always misquoted. One didn't become King in those
days by being an idiot.  What he did was demonstrate to they who actually
were idiots, that his power was limited.