[BITList] Fw: [BIship] Captain Barry Young .

John Davison davison.g at xtra.co.nz
Fri Dec 5 21:00:37 GMT 2014

From: John Davison
Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2014 8:23 AM
To: BIship at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Fw: [BIship] Captain Barry Young .

RE THIS REPORT FROM TIM RIDGE ,
I FIRST MET BARRY ON NOWSHERA  1957 , HE WAS A CADET AND I WAS 3/0  . BARRY CAME FROM PIETERMARITZBERG NATAL SA , HE ATTENDED THE NAUTICAL TRAINING SCHOOL GENERAL BOTHA AND HIS FIRST BI SHIP WAS KAMPALA , I MET BARRY LATER WHEN HE WAS 2/0 DUMRA EARLY 60S , THEN LATER IN NZ .
HE WROTE A PLEASANT INTERESTING ARTICLE : THE MAIL WALLAH : WHICH THINK WAS POSTED ON THE BI WEB , ABOUT A  RED LABEL MAIL BAG CONTROVERSY IN BOMBAY .
I SAW BARRY SWIM AT BREACH CANDY AND THINK HE COULD HAVE BEEN ON THE OLYMPIC WORLD SCENE LIKE THE FAMOUS SWIMMERS FROM USA AND AUSSIE .
QUITE A GUY .
BAHUT SALAAMS
JOHN

Very sad news. Barry young, who will be well know to many BI sailors from the 1960’s, died last night in Takapuna, Auckland.

He was diagnosed with cancer eight or so years ago and has been receiving remedial treatment for secondaries since then. As a battler and super-fit he survived ops to remove brain tumours and up to two months ago was swimming 3 1/2 kilometres daily!

For the final days he has been set up in a hospital bed in his and Suzanne’s small sitting room/dinette and his son, Chris, and daughter, Veronica, as well as Suzanne tended him full time. They ran a watch system so that someone was with him and awake all the time.

Visitors came often; whilst I was there two of his swimming buddies arrived and the atmosphere with conversation and so on was at times convivial. It would be deadly if the family were on their own. I think there has been allot of ‘pre-grieving’, which must be one of the benefits of this type of palliative care at home. They have a very pleasant, young (mind you - everyone seems young to me me now!) and caring nurse from the local hospice who spent time with them and administered the paid-killing medications.

The family were very glad to have to John Davidson and Tony Gates, BI shipmates from ‘Nowshera’, visit yesterday. Regrettably Barry had died an hour or so before they arrived

Barry’s many achievements include being elected to the US Masters Hall Of Fame on account of his masters swimming, that includes numerous world records some of which still stand. Until a year ago he was teaching at the Auckland nautical School and was very well regarded as an excellent, caring teacher.

For BI Aucklanders, the funeral is planned for Saturday, 1100, DEC January at St Francis Church, Finchley Road, Tor bay

Tim

Tim Ridge
Mobile 021 0274 0760

.