[BITList] Glasgow's last shipyard Ferguson Shipbuilders set toclose | UK news | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 16 10:43:29 BST 2014

Mike,

Someone beat me to the shower.

The Ferguson yard was purchased by a non-shipbuilding family, possibly 15 years ago (I write without notes), and it stayed afloat, though over the past few years no newbuildings were launched.  I worked for them in the 60s when the Fergusons owned it - I used to get a lift to work from Gordon Ferguson. I was loaned to them twice, once from Scotts and once from Kvaerner Govan.  They were a niche yard - dredgers, trawlers, ferries, tugs and so on.  There have been yards on the site from the mid 1700s - Ferguson took it over in 1903.  Contrary to what appears in an email to another site, the Uganda wasn't built there.

So it looks as if Newark Castle will be left to sit on its own - Lamonts to the east of it closed a good many years ago.  There's an old local tale of the chap who who reckoned it was stupid of our ancestors to build a castle between two shipyards.