[BITList] Bye Bye SR-71 Blackbird

FA franka at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 10 00:52:46 BST 2014

        Interesting to read.

                    *Bye Bye SR-71 Blackbird*
                    FROM AN SR-71 PILOT ..... a fascinating read!
                    The SR-71 Blackbird.
                    []
                    In April 1986, following an attack on American
                    soldiers in a Berlin disco, President Reagan ordered
                    the bombing of Muammar Qaddafi's terrorist camps in
                    Libya ........
                    My duty was to fly over Libya , and take photographs
                    recording the damage our F-111's had inflicted.
                    Qaddafi had established a 'line of death,' a
                    territorial marking across the Gulf of Sidra ,
                    swearing to shoot down any intruder, that crossed
                    the boundary.
                    On the morning of April 15, I rocketed past the line
                    at 2,125 mph.
                    []
                    I was piloting the SR-71 spy plane, the world's
                    fastest jet, accompanied by a marine major (Walt),
                    the aircraft's reconnaissance systems officer (RSO).
                    We had crossed into Libya , and were approaching our
                    final turn over the bleak desert landscape, when
                    Walt informed me that he was receiving missile
                    launch signals.
                    I quickly increased our speed, calculating the time
                    it would take for the weapons, most likely SA-2 and
                    SA-4 surface-to-air missiles, capable of Mach 5, to
                    reach our altitude.
                    I estimated, that we could beat the rocket-powered
                    missiles to the turn, and stayed our course, betting
                    our lives on the plane's performance.
                    []
                    After several agonizingly long seconds, we made the
                    turn and blasted toward the Mediterranean .
                    'You might want to pull it back,' Walt suggested.
                    It was then that I noticed I still had the throttles
                    full forward.
                    The plane was flying a mile every 1.6 seconds, well
                    above our Mach 3.2 limit.
                    It was the fastest we would ever fly.
                    I pulled the throttles to idle, just south of Sicily
                    , but we still overran the refueling tanker,
                    awaiting us over Gibraltar .......
                    []
                    Scores of significant aircraft have been produced,
                    in the 100 years of flight, following the
                    achievements of the Wright brothers, which we
                    celebrate in December.
                    Aircraft such as the Boeing 707, the F-86 Sabre Jet,
                    and the P-51 Mustang, are among the important
                    machines, that have flown our skies.
                    But the SR-71, also known as the Blackbird, stands
                    alone as a significant contributor to Cold War
                    victory, and as the fastest plane ever, and only 93
                    Air Force pilots, ever steered the 'sled,' as we
                    called our aircraft.
                    []
                    The SR-71, was the brainchild of Kelly Johnson, the
                    famed Lockheed designer, who created the P-38, the
                    F-104 Starfighter, and the U-2.
                    After the Soviets shot down Gary Powers U-2 in 1960,
                    Johnson began to develop an aircraft, that would fly
                    three miles higher, and five times faster, than the
                    spy plane, and still be capable of photographing
                    your license plate.
                    However, flying at 2,000 mph would create intense
                    heat on the aircraft's skin.
                    Lockheed engineers used a titanium alloy, to
                    construct more than 90 percent of the SR-71,
                    creating special tools, and manufacturing procedures
                    to hand-build each of the 40 planes. Special
                    heat-resistant fuel, oil, and hydraulic fluids, that
                    would function at 85,000 feet, and higher, also had
                    to be developed.
                    []
                    In 1962, the first Blackbird successfully flew, and
                    in 1966, the same year I graduated from high school,
                    the Air Force began flying operational SR-71 missions.
                    I came to the program in 1983, with a sterling
                    record and a recommendation from my commander,
                    completing the week long interview, and meeting
                    Walt, my partner for the next four years.
                    He would ride four feet behind me, working all the
                    cameras, radios, and electronic jamming equipment.
                    I joked, that if we were ever captured, he was the
                    spy, and I was just the driver. He told me to keep
                    the pointy end forward.
                    We trained for a year, flying out of Beale AFB in
                    California , Kadena Airbase in Okinawa , and RAF
                    Mildenhall in England .........
                    On a typical training mission, we would take off
                    near Sacramento , refuel over Nevada, accelerate
                    into Montana , obtain a high Mach speed over
                    Colorado , turn right over New Mexico, speed across
                    the Los Angeles Basin, run up the West Coast, turn
                    right at Seattle , then return to Beale.
                    Total flight time:- Two hours and forty minutes.
                    One day, high above Arizona , we were monitoring the
                    radio traffic, of all the mortal airplanes below us.
                    First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic
                    controllers to check his ground speed. 'Ninety
                    knots,' ATC replied.
                    A Bonanza soon made the same request. 'One-twenty on
                    the ground,' was the reply.
                    To our surprise, a navy F-18 came over the radio,
                    with a ground speed check.
                    I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had
                    a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he
                    wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley,
                    know what real speed was, 'Dusty 52, we show you at
                    620 on the ground,' ATC responded.
                    The situation was too ripe.
                    I heard the click of Walt's mike button in the rear
                    seat.
                    In his most innocent voice, Walt startled the
                    controller by asking for a ground speed check from
                    81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace.
                    In a cool, professional voice, the controller
                    replied, 'Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the
                    ground.'
                    We did not hear another transmission on that
                    frequency, all the way to the coast.
                    []
                    The Blackbird always showed us something new, each
                    aircraft possessing its own unique personality.
                    In time, we realized we were flying a national treasure.
                    When we taxied out of our revetments for take-off,
                    people took notice.
                    Traffic congregated near the airfield fences,
                    because everyone wanted to see, and hear the mighty
                    SR-71.
                    You could not be a part of this program, and not
                    come to love the airplane.
                    Slowly, she revealed her secrets to us, as we earned
                    her trust.
                    One moonless night, while flying a routine training
                    mission over the Pacific, I wondered what the sky
                    would look like from 84,000 feet, if the cockpit
                    lighting were dark.
                    While heading home on a straight course, I slowly
                    turned down all of the lighting, reducing the glare
                    and revealing the night sky.
                    Within seconds, I turned the lights back up, fearful
                    that the jet would know, and somehow punish me.
                    But my desire to see the sky, overruled my caution,
                    I dimmed the lighting again.
                    To my amazement, I saw a bright light outside my window.
                    As my eyes adjusted to the view, I realized that the
                    brilliance was the broad expanse of the Milky Way,
                    now a gleaming stripe across the sky.
                    Where dark spaces in the sky, had usually existed,
                    there were now dense clusters, of sparkling stars.
                    Shooting Stars, flashed across the canvas every few
                    seconds.
                    It was like a fireworks display with no sound.
                    I knew I had to get my eyes back on the instruments,
                    and reluctantly, I brought my attention back inside.
                    To my surprise, with the cockpit lighting still off,
                    I could see every gauge, lit by starlight.
                    In the plane's mirrors, I could see the eerie shine
                    of my gold spacesuit, incandescently illuminated, in
                    a celestial glow.
                    I stole one last glance out the window. Despite our
                    speed, we seemed still before the heavens, humbled
                    in the radiance of a much greater power.
                    For those few moments, I felt a part of something
                    far more significant, than anything we were doing in
                    the plane.
                    The sharp sound of Walt's voice on the radio,
                    brought me back to the tasks at hand, as I prepared
                    for our descent.
                    []
                    San Diego Aerospace Museum The SR-71 was an
                    expensive aircraft to operate.
                    The most significant cost was tanker support, and in
                    1990, confronted with budget cutbacks, the Air Force
                    retired the SR-71.
                    The SR-71 served six presidents, protecting America
                    for a quarter of a century.
                    Unbeknown to most of the country, the plane flew
                    over North Vietnam , Red China , North Korea , the
                    Middle East , South Africa , Cuba , Nicaragua , Iran
                    , Libya and the Falkland Islands .
                    On a weekly basis, the SR-71, kept watch over every
                    Soviet Nuclear Submarine, Mobile Missile Site, and
                    all of their troop movements.
                    It was a key factor in winning the Cold War.
                    I am proud to say, I flew about 500 hours in this
                    aircraft.
                    I knew her well.
                    She gave way to no plane, proudly dragging her Sonic
                    Boom through enemy backyards, with great impunity..
                    She defeated every missile, outran every MIG, and
                    always brought us home.
                    In the first 100 years of manned flight, no aircraft
                    was more remarkable.
                    The Blackbird had outrun nearly 4,000 missiles, not
                    once taking a scratch from enemy fire.
                    On her final flight, the Blackbird, destined for the
                    Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum , sped
                    from Los Angeles to Washington in 64 Minutes,
                    averaging 2,145 mph, and setting four speed records.