[BITList] more UK Stolen Pensions

x50type x50type at cox.net
Fri Sep 6 03:17:20 BST 2013

John

the impasse seems to be between ‘asking’ and ‘being told’.

the basis of your argument is that you were not told.

Yet the uk government appears to be not disputing the fact but simply says check first before you emigrate – leaving the responsibility to the emigrant – not unusual.

The Department of Health and Social Security Leaflet NI 38 of January 1969 entitled National Insurance for People Abroad, page 5 states, “Anyone going abroad should find out before he goes whether his position will be affected by reciprocal agreements”.
A leaflet explaining the effect of any particular agreement may be obtained from the DHSS.

Working in the USA, all the usual taxes are mandatory including Social Security contributions – no opting out.
However, under these conditions contributions to the UK National Insurance system became voluntary and are paid out of ones own pocket to the DHSS, if one decides to contribute.
I decided to contribute and therefore receive the yearly general increase in benefits.

Were you told by the UK Government when you left the UK? If you were, can you prove it?
All DHSS leaflets are readily available to all from The Pension Service, Tyneview Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, England NE98 1BA  Tel: [01910 21 87777. The DHSS sends me leaflet CF-N-701 08/10 ‘State Pensions, Bereavement Benefits and Widow’s Benefits nearly every year.

Ignorantia juris non excusat.
I don’t think your point that you were not told is a very strong one, so I hope there is more to it than that.
However,calling it a ‘stolen pension’ will make few friends in the UK halls of power.

Without question it is unfair and I hope a solution can be found soon.

ct