[BITList] Rocks

x50type x50type at cox.net
Sun Sep 1 13:07:36 BST 2013

They are known as ‘sailing rocks’

Located in a remote area of California's Death Valley National Park, the heavy stones appear to move across the dried lake bed known as Racetrack Playa, leaving a trail behind them in the cracked mud.

A research team calculated that under certain winter conditions in Death Valley, enough water and ice could form to float the rocks across the muddy bottom of Racetrack Playa in a light breeze, leaving a trail in the mud as the rocks moved.
Nonetheless, some visitors to Death Valley seem to prefer more occult explanations for the sailing stones.

"People always ask, 'What do you think causes them to move?' But if you try to explain, they don't always want to hear the answers," van Valkenburg said. "People like a mystery — they like an unanswered question."

ct