[BITList] jon stewart again

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun Oct 27 13:59:44 GMT 2013

G’day Hugh,

On 27 Oct 2013, at 07:03 am, HUGH <chakdara at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Maiden names:  I'd always thought the use of a maiden name as a middle name was a peculiarly American custom, until I noted it in some old Scottish records, where they used it as a shorthand, eg, Mary Smith Jones, instead of Mary Jones nee Smith.  I've never seen this used in the UK in other circumstances.

It is very common in the county of Somerset and Wiltshire in the 1800s and early 1900s.

My full name is John Sartain Feltham - as Michael will attest to!.

Sartain was the maiden name of our paternal Gt Grandmother, Sarah Sartain.

> She emerged after 15 minutes with an officially stamped photocopy of the original (or of their copy of the original) and a glib tale about typing errors. It was only when I got home I realised she'd retained the copy - no doubt it had been shredded.

Was that not stealing?

ooroo

The first steps in reforming the learning experiences of young people is to reform the learning experiences of the adults responsible for young people's education."

Roland Barth