[BITList] jon stewart again

x50type x50type at cox.net
Sat Oct 26 17:22:02 BST 2013

sorry, Hugh

I just can’t get this video out of the US. This is clearly a dastardly republican plot to stop the world seeing what misogynistic racist emefs they are.
if you can’t win elections, just prevent the folks [women, minorities, gays, the poor, women’s rights group, young people, latinos, married women who use their maiden name as a middle name {yes, really},  etc.] from being eligible to vote at all by rigging the documentation requirements.
Some folks who have been voting for 50 years and longer are being told they have to produce their original birth certificate now – not a copy. Photo ID’s are now demanded in some areas, and so it goes on.
of course it doesn’t help when the US supreme court declares that Section 4 of the 1965 Voting Rights Act* is no longer necessary because there is no longer racism in the USA ------- really, are they blind and deaf?

*[The Voting Rights Act (VRA) bans racial discrimination in voting practices by the federal government as well as by state and local governments.

Passed in 1965 after a century of deliberate and violent denial of the vote to African-Americans in the South and Latinos in the Southwest – as well as many years of entrenched electoral systems that shut out citizens with limited fluency in English – the VRA is often held up as the most effective civil rights law ever enacted. It is widely regarded as enabling the enfranchisement of millions of minority voters and diversifying the electorate and legislative bodies at all levels of American government.]

ct